Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Another Estate Sale

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Olympiad Drive, View Park
No, I do not spend all of my free time going to estate sales. It just so happens that in the spring and summer there are lots of sales. At one time in my life I was intent on buying up all manners of vintage items. I like pottery, costume jewelry, records, sheet music, knit and crochet supplies and books, paintings, furniture, some clothing, etc.. Over the years I have amassed quite a bit of vintage items. I think my collecting days are almost over. Soon, it will be time to divest myself of my many treasures. HOWEVER, my friend Rhoda is still on the hunt for stuff. She drags me to many of the sales that we attend on weekends. We usually make a day of it and go out to lunch in the area where the sale is located.
This past weekend, we went to a Treasures Estate Sale in View Park. View Park is a lovely area of Baldwin Hills with gorgeous mid-20th-century homes, rolling front lawns and magnificent views of the Los Angeles. This particular home was built in 1949. The original owner built the house himself. It did have a rough-hewn look to it, but it was spacious and great for entertaining.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Beautiful Beamed Ceiling in the Great Room
The deceased had two different wives with varying interests.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The house was packed with all sorts of things, from 1920's era costumes to vintage phonographs and player pianos. There was a cabinet in the kitchen with about 100 punch bowl cups....party people! I found a book on clowns.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The horse ride had a Woolworth's sticker on it

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the exact Hurdy Gurdy I received for my 4th Birthday!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Hurdy Gurdy was broken, otherwise, I would have bought it

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cloisonne' Kitchen Art, mounted on walnut

For me, it's not about what I might buy anymore, it's about seeing an old house in a nifty L.A. neighborhood and how people live. This sale continues this weekend. The address is 4260 Olympiad Dr., LA, CA 90043. Check it out. You might not buy anything, but you'll see a beautiful L.A. area.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After our hunt was over, we headed to nearby LaDera Heights for lunch at one of L.A.'s best coffee shops, Pann's. It was yum-a-licious.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:35 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

OMG, great stuff there!

 
At 4:09 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:10 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Y'know, we talked it over on Saturday, and came to the conclusion that you are independently wealthy. You're always going to fabulous places and having wonderful meals and getting fantastic, unique things.

You're one of those secret lotto winners, aren't you?!

 
At 5:15 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Oh Monkeygurrllll...you are so funny! Independentely wealthy? Hah! No, my secret of wealth is that my car is paid off, my mortgage is low and I eat in less-expensive restaurants. Also, the fact that Mr. Larry and I don't have children definitely helps our bank account!!! Not that there's anything wrong with children, they can be expensive though...as you know!

 
At 7:22 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

That is not too far away from my childhood home! Such nice memories...:-)

 
At 10:26 AM PDT, Blogger Uccellina said...

I need to get on this estate-sale e-mail list.

*checks wallet*

Er, on second thought, maybe not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery