Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Highland Park

For my upcoming art show at Future Studio I'll be showing my Los Angeles landscape paintings. Most of these paintings are of Historic Preservation Overlay Zones (HPOZ). The Los Angeles Conservancy's description: "An HPOZ is a City-designated historic district composed of a group of buildings (either an entire neighborhood or part of a neighborhood) which are related to one another historically, architecturally and/or culturally."
LAPD Historical Museum

Historic Highland Park Home
There are many such zones in Los Angeles, including Angelino Heights, West Adams, Mar Vista/Gregory Ain Tract, Melrose Hill, Lafayette Square, Carthay Circle, Miracle Mile North and more. A portion of Highland Park is an HPOZ too. I'm working on a painting of this area now. I actually lived in Highland Park for a short time during the late 1970's, so I'm quite familiar with this part of North East Los Angeles. This is one of the oldest "suburbs" of L.A. It's located north of Downtown, south of Pasadena and straddles the 110 Fwy, also known as the Arroyo Seco Parkway, the oldest freeway in California. It's a hilly area with some really beautiful old homes. The Metro Gold Line goes right through the area, making it a convenient place to live if you work downtown or in Pasadena.
Neighborhood in Highland Park
I drove around the area a few weeks ago, snapping some photos of buildings and signs to collage into my painting. IN addition to some great restaurants, Highland Park is the home of Judson Stained Glass Studios, The Charles Lummis Home, Chicken Boy and Jackson Browne's family! The Browne family compound, The Abbey, is still there. Remember Jackson's song, "Lawless Avenues"? Well, it's all about H.P.
60's Apartment House in Garvanza
Historic Highland Park Home
I hope to see you at my art show opening on Saturday, July 14th, 7-10 pm @ Future Studio, 5558 No. Figueroa St., L.A. There are many other galleries to visit on the same night. You can check out the schedule here.
Home of every known Soda Pop in the World

One of the oldest Camera Shops in L.A.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 3:48 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Highland Parks look like a fairly interesting part of L.A. Thanks for the history lesson.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 4:07 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

HEY!!! I was in that neck o' the woods as well!!

Gawd, I *so* love east LA. If only work and school weren't on the west side.

July 14th. Keep reminding us!!

 
At 4:16 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Can't wait for you show. I am completely intrigued by the soda pop store. Looking forward to exploring a new part of town.

 
At 5:02 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

And the Gold Line stops right near the Highland Park Home. Very convenient. Ride the Gold Line quick before it becomes as crappy as the Red Line. :)

 
At 1:48 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:15 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I would love to make it on the 14th. You continue to make me very homesick but I love coming to your site everyday. It's so good to know there's someone who loves L.A. as much as I do.

You biggest Arkansas fan, MX

 
At 7:34 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Galco's! My son discovered this place when he was going to Oxy...and now our fridge is home to an everchanging array of exotic drinks. Currently there is a 4-pack of Sanpelligrino Chinotto.

A lot of the drinks are in printed bottles (that is, they don't have labels, but have the design right on the glass). My packrattiness makes me save these bottles, although I have no idea what I will every do with any of them. But I just can't bear to throw them in the recycle bin.

Count on me being at your art show!

 
At 5:38 PM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

My cat Highland was named after Highland Park! I've also taken several youth groups on field trips to Judson Studios--their son played on the same Little League team as mine, mumbledy-mumble years ago. Great place! Even inspired me to do my one and only stained glass piece...

 
At 6:45 PM PDT, Blogger Alicia said...

I love seeing pictures of my neighborhood on your blog!!

 
At 6:37 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't live nor am I that familiar with the area other than I've heard of it and drove through after leaving the historic homes museum across the freeway-forgot name. Been back a few times now, sorta house shoping. Can't wait to swing by Judson Studios. It's awesome to see something positive about the area instead of the steryotipical expectations. And thanks for helping me feel that I'm not too crazy to think about moving into the area.

 
At 6:40 PM PDT, Blogger slim joe said...

I've lived in Highland Park for 18 years. It's attracting a nicer class of people. My neighbors are great. Thanks for your positive article.

 
At 2:51 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived in highland Park all my 18 years of life.Finally someone is showing something other than what really goes on.

Dont get me wrong now, they do need to realize that there are times where u have to watch ur back and peer over your shoulder every now and then.

But its good to see someone who doesnt just focus on that aspect of our neighborhood.There's a lot of little hidden treasures here.

For all those reading you should try to visit Folliero Pizza right here in highland park.One of the oldest pizzerias here.

The restuarant is small and on a busy day you'll have a good wait but the food there is amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery