Monday, April 20, 2009

Knitsters @ The Hammer

Lori, Sarah, Jenna, Natalie and Laurie Ann
background: Debbie and Kath
We had a sensational field trip to the Hammer Museum on Saturday! Lisa Anne Auerbach met up with our Knitster Group for lunch and a tour of the group show, "Nine Lives...Visionary Artists from L.A."
We descended on the Hammer Courtyard around noon. I'd say there were 15-20 of us, enjoying lunch, knitting in the courtyard and generally having a great time. I want to thank everyone for coming....from as far away as Catalina Island and Santa Clarita! The weather was perfect.
After lunch we went upstairs to see the exhibit. Lisa's knit work and photos are at the end of the exhibit, so we were able to enjoy the eight other artists' work before gathering in the hanging torso room. Many of us had some pertinent questions for Lisa about her work. We had been given approval to take a few photos, but naturally, not every guard got the memo. It was wild to hear all the walkie-talkies buzzing with alarm as many of us raised our cameras. I did manage to get some good shots of all of us roaming through Lisa's exhibit.


Everyone was impressed by Lisa's knitted sweaters and skirts and her commitment to socio-polital commentary in yarn. Thanks to Lisa for joining us on Saturday and giving us insight into her work. It was a very successful day!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 12:51 PM PDT, Anonymous Kyle Kunnecke said...

it was a fantastic Saturday meet-up - the only thing I wanted was for it to be longer! what a gorgeous day... amazing location and such a group of talented people I didn't get the chance to talk with... thank you for organizing it!! :)

 
At 5:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I wish I could have attended. Looks like you had a great time!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 5:36 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Behold the power of the knitted stitch! Looks like y'all had a great turnout/time; kudos on coordinating this kewl event. (And sorry I couldn't join you, but the eyes aren't good at navigating public places these days...harumph.)

 
At 8:39 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for planning the event and posting pictures, Ellen! I had a great time.

 
At 10:26 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Thank you so much for arranging this great field trip! A wonderful day - so happy I was able to make it! My only regret is not spending more time getting to know the other folks who attended. But I'm very glad we finally met in person!

 
At 11:07 PM PDT, Blogger Kelli B said...

So bummed I couldn't make it! I have been wanting to see her photography and especially her knitted work in person. She was a photography instructor of Will's when he was at SC and I have been intrigued by her for awhile now. I hope to at least get to see the exhibit before it is taken down.

 
At 11:32 AM PDT, Anonymous Tstone said...

The photos look great. Wish I could've made it.
Lisa's work is so amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery