Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Taos Cardigan

2009 Taos Wool Festival

When we were at the Wool Festival in Taos, New Mexico last October, I bought a lot of the most beautiful sport-weight yarn called Plain and Fancy. The Plain and Fancy Sheep and Wool Company is located in Henderson, Texas. They really don't have an online presence, it seems that they only sell at festivals around the country. Their yarn is beautiful and comes in the most exquisite colors. I picked up some blues, blacks, greens, grays and a few skeins of variegated.

I must have started at least three different cardigans with this blue yarn until I finally found the "9 to 5 Shrug" online. It's a simple, top-down construction. I do not wear shrugs, but it was simple to lengthen the sleeves and body from this pattern. I used a size "H" crochet hook. When I bought the darker blue yarn (3 skeins was all they had in stock), I knew I would need a fourth skein for a full-size cardigan, so I bought one skein of lighter blue. I striped the yoke of the cardigan to make the dark yarn go a bit further. After finishing the body and the sleeves, I added a border in the light blue. I switched to a lacy shell pattern for the body and the sleeves. Next time I crochet this pattern, I'll add in a few more stitches to the top-down construction so I don't have to add such a wide border.


I did not soak this sweater. I merely blocked it a bit with my steam iron. I love the lightness and comfort of this sweater. It's all about the yarn! I wish I was in Taos right now!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 4:57 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

It's gorgeous! I love the brooch(?) you're using to close it as well.

Also, I think this may be the first time I've ever seen you in blue! ;)

 
At 5:07 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments, Gwen! I rarely wear blue...I'm usually in red, burgundy, orange, rust. Blue is quite calming!

 
At 6:01 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

That color is gorgeous! Looks great.

 
At 6:49 PM PDT, Anonymous Twilight said...

I remember when you got that yarn. Good job!

 
At 7:29 PM PDT, Anonymous Cousin Jan said...

At this point you need your own cable TV show and a talk radio show.You have become an expert and I believe thousands would tune in.And with each episode they could order a book or phamplet with the project of the day/show. You could have guest knitters & yarn makers etc. from all over the world.

 
At 8:15 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

I love the wide lacy border. It really makes for a feminine sweater. The color is dreamy and while it's not one of your favorite colors you wear it very well. It's highly complimentary.

 
At 12:03 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

SO very pretty. You do look a bit more mellow, but that's not a bad thing. I like you in blue (having nothing to do with the fact it's my favorite color...)

 
At 1:14 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first came to your blog via your wonderful interpretation of a top-down raglan from Crochetme. Now you've done it again with this pattern. You're an inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery