Friday, August 19, 2011

Vintage Photo Friday

Fanny, Abe and Ethel Pellicoff, before 1900, Philadelphia

This is an early photo of my Grandmother, Ethel Pellicoff Bloom (right) with her sister and brother when they were children. My Grandmother was born in 1889. She looks about 4 or 5 in this photo.
I searched for Chandler Photography at 828 Arch Street in Philadelphia and found an interesting Flickr site of Victorian photographs that look to be from the same era as our photograph. The address on the photo is in the center of historic Philadelphia, near the Liberty Bell, Franklin Square and other historic monuments. It appears to be a bustling business area today.
I love how these wee children are dressed! The girls in their dresses, petticoats and sweet little boots. Uncle Abe looks particularly adorable in his ruffled shirt and big bow tie!
One day, armed with information from Ancestry.com and other historic documents, I will visit the sites of Grandma Ethel's youth, Philadelphia, PA, Camden and Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy our beautiful August weather!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:19 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo said...

Wow, what a special photograph! I never had any childhood photos of my grandparents and very few of my parents as well. When I was young it seemed so hard for me to believe that those old people were once young. I am beginning to crasp the concept however still have a hard time believing I will one day be one of the gray haired old ladies!

You have a great weekend too.

 
At 1:04 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Ellen, this is exactly where Michael's family (on both mom and dad's side) is from (Philadelphia and Camden). Nathalie just came back from visiting her Grandmother there, and stayed at Sheraton Hotel next to where all the historic sites are located.

Christine G.

 
At 1:06 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=166&EM=VTY_SI_166_SOCIETYHILL_OVERVIEW


Sheraton Society Hill

 
At 4:54 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Christine,
Michael and I have discussed this before. I'll bet we're distant cousins!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery