Friday, April 20, 2012

Red Cars

Red Car Over Motor Avenue, 1953. 
Photo by Alan Weeks/Metro Archives

I barely remember the last Red Car that traveled down Venice Boulevard.  I was a tiny girl and I remember my Dad pointing out the trolley to me as we drove down to the beach one weekend.  I wanted to ride the trolley, but Dad said, "The car is better.  We can carry all of our stuff in the back and come and go as we please without having to wait in lines."  

The Red Car went EVERYWHERE in L.A.

Well, OK Dad.  Now we have to wait in traffic lines, burning gas and oil.  I am supremely excited about the opening of the new Expo Metro Line next weekend.  True, it will only get me from La Cienega to USC, but I could pick up transfers and travel a few more places in L.A. and beyond, without having to wait in horrendous L.A. traffic.

 Red Car at USC, 1953
Photo by Alan Weeks/Metro Archives
There is an opportunity to ride a reproduction of the old Red Car in Los Angeles today.  The Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro is the home of a waterfront Red Car line. The line is very short, nothing like the extensive routes during the Red Car hey-day in Los Angeles.  Still, I can't wait to visit!
 Waterfront Red Car Replica Line, San Pedro
Photo by John Smatlak

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:13 AM PDT, Blogger jiulin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:33 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery