Monday, June 24, 2013

Top Round

Top Round is a new sandwich shop that just opened in our neighborhood.  Warning....there is nothing healthy offered here.  HOWEVER, the sandwiches are DELICIOUS.  Uh oh.  I can definitely see this becoming an addiction.  
The beef is thinly sliced, placed, steaming hot on a toasted bun with various sauces, and accoutrements.  I ordered the Beef and Cheese, accompanied by BBQ sauce.  Larry ordered the Horse and Hole, which consists of  beef with Provolone cheese, horseradish cream and roasted mushrooms.  You can get horse radish cream and BBQ sauce which they call "round" sauce on the side.  The horse radish cream is the best I've ever tasted....better than Lawry's!  Larry ordered a small chocolate shake and said it was yummy.  We did not order any of the French fry selections, nor did we try their "custard" which is really soft-serve vanilla ice cream with various toppings.  Ack!  There is nothing green served at this restaurant.

Top Round is a former doughnut shop, so it's not huge, however there is seating inside and a few tables on the patio.  The place is very slick and art-directed in a Googie style.  They have one of those fancy multi-drink machines.
The sandwiches are wrapped to go, so this is a perfect stop for a take-home dinner.  Prepare a nice, fresh green salad at home to go along with your sandwich and it's almost a healthy meal! 
Top Round Roast Beef
1000 So. La Brea Ave. (at Olympic Blvd.)
L.A., CA  90019  
open 11 am - 11 pm, daily

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:18 PM PDT, Blogger count reeshard said...

I am impressed with today's find, Ellen, as I am with most anything you care to post. I noted with interest two items in particular:

1) that you were able to detect art direction in any form

and

2) someone outside of Buffalo NY (where I did grad school) is offering beef-on-weck, a sandwich whose ubiquity in that city amounts to an urban mandate. I mean KFC in Bflo has to sell beef-on-weck.

 
At 3:23 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

"Art direction" is my middle name, Richard! Also, the mid-20th century design of this building has caught my eye for over 20 years. I'm happy to see that the current owners emphasized it's Googie-ness.

It snows in Buffalo. People can cover up their fat selves with layers of coats. SoCal is a different animal!

 
At 3:49 PM PDT, Blogger RossK said...

It snows in Canada too, but...

We, too, do not have this 'beef-on-weck' concoction. What is it exactly?

.

 
At 3:52 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Beef on Weck....it's all about the roll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich

 
At 8:21 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

I went for the second time on Saturday. I second your statement about the horseradish cream. Yum!

 
At 2:59 PM PDT, Blogger RossK said...

Thanks Ellen--

Will definitely try and visit this fine establishment next time we are down that way.

.

 
At 2:47 PM PDT, Blogger Jill said...

I have been dying to go to Top Round! I don't eat beef so I'm sad that the fries are fried in beef fat, but I am obsessed with frozen custard "concretes"!

 
At 4:47 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Oh Jill! You may just have to become a meat eater again. This place rocks! I cannot rave enough about the horse-radish sauce. Bring your own salad on the side and douse it with this sauce!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery