Thursday, April 10, 2014

A New Holiday

Palm Springs, 1964

After perusing Facebook this morning, I found out that today is National Siblings Day.  Sheesh!  There's a holiday for EVERYTHING now.  Used to be we'd just celebrate each other on our birthdays.  Now, my brother and I have a particular day where we can reminisce about how he used to call me "Shrimp," "Pokey" and "Pipsqueak." 

At Grandma & Grandpa Bloom's house, across the street from Hollywood H.S.

Halloween, 1957.  Beverly Hills

Ken's Bar Mitzvah Reception, 1958.  Sherman Oaks

San Francisco, 1959

I must say, I'm eternally grateful to my brother, Ken for teaching me how to play the ukulele, guitar and banjo and for furthering my love of American Roots music.  We are seven years apart, so I cannot remember too many favors I did for Kenny.  He was out of the house by the time I was 11 or 12.  I do remember Mom saying that he couldn't use the family car unless he took his little sister along, thus ensuring that he wouldn't get into any REAL trouble.  Little did Mom know that I was sitting in smokey back rooms at The Ash Grove (L.A.'s premiere folk music club) listening to the less than wholesome sounds of Reverend Gary Davis, Ramblin' Jack Elliot and Bill Monroe rehearse before performances!
After all these years, Ken has maintained his interest in music, making it his life's work.  This weekend he's hosting the Pilot Mountain Bowed Dulcimer Festival in North Carolina. 
Me, I'm still playing the same three chords on the ukulele!

Ken, Dad, Ellen.  1955. San Diego Zoo

Ellen, Mom, Ken.  1955. Ferry to Coronado Island.
Ken, Ellen.  2004.  Los Angeles
Happy Siblings Day, Kenny!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:09 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

awww, this makes me all warm and fuzzy.

 
At 10:07 AM PDT, Blogger ken bloom said...

Happy Sibling Day Ell! IT's great seeing these old photos. It really takes me back. I think the Ash Grove has played a big part on both of our lives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery