Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Making Groceries

My shopping cart at Trader Joe's


From FrenchQuarter.com:  “Making Groceries,” is an old New Orleans expression that the city’s residents traditionally used for food shopping. The expression derives from the French faire son marché, “to do one’s market shopping," faire translating either "to do" or "to make." For eighteen decades New Orleans residents enjoyed making groceries at the old French Market in the Quarter. 
I've heard this term for over 25 years. Must have something to do with my love for Louisiana music and people. Also, making stuff is what I do...knitting, crocheting and more. Somehow "making groceries" sounds so much more creative and colorful than "grocery shopping."
I like to look in other people's shopping carts when I'm in the store. Maybe I'm missing out on a product that I should buy? This may lead to conversations about food preparation. I need a lot of time when I'm making groceries.


Another Trader Joe's Expedition

I might just start a new series of photographs "Inside Your Shopping Cart." This should prove easier than snapping photos of vanity license plates while driving!
What's in your grocery cart?  SEND ME A PHOTO!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:42 PM PST, Blogger North Van's Grumps said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:44 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:59 PM PST, Blogger North Van's Grumps said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:59 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang! I wish I'd read this yesterday before I went shopping. Oh well, it wasn't all that interesting anyway. just beer, dog food, alergy meds, and milk. Next week?

 
At 10:06 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Melissa! I'm always interested in grocery cart photos! Send them to ellblo@aol.com

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery